Transportation - Arrival and Dismissal
Translate this page
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
Bell Schedule and School Hours
Bus Transportation Information & Change In Transportation Form
Bus Delay Notification System
This system provides parents with timely notification of bus route information. Parents may access the system at the link below or use the FCPS Mobile App to receive the delayed bus report. Morning route information will be available until noon. The afternoon route information will be available from 1:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Need assistance or have questions about FCPS transportation? Contact the Transportation Office at 703-249-7100. For any concerns after hours, contact Safety and Security at 571-423-2000.
FCPS provides bus transportation for students who reside more than a mile from the school. Bus riders should follow these guidelines:
- Refrain from crossing or playing on private property.
- Cooperate with the safety patrols and obey the bus drivers.
- Arrive at the bus stop five to ten minutes before the scheduled pick-up time.
- Remain seated and talk quietly after boarding the bus.
Procedures for safe transportation are discussed with all students at the beginning of the school year. It is also important that parents review with their children the information included in Student Rights and Responsibilities. Parents should reinforce the rules for safe loading/unloading of buses, and standards for behavior on buses and at bus stops. It is essential and will promote safety. Student failure to exhibit acceptable standards of conduct while riding a school bus can result in a suspension of bus transportation.
For your child’s safety, a parent, daycare provider, designated adult, or a sibling in 7th grade or higher is required to meet your child at the bus stop. The child will be returned to school if no one is waiting for them at the bus stop.
Attendance Procedures and Forms
Arrival and Dismissal Safety Protocol
Keeping our students safe when they are arriving and dismissed from school is of utmost importance to us. We realize that Center Harbor Road is very busy during these times of the day. It is everyone's responsibility to ensure that we are following the rules around drop-off and pick-up of students. Please follow these protocols while driving around our school campus.
- The bus loop is only for buses from 8:30 a.m.- 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.- 4:30 p.m. Only school buses or emergency vehicles may enter the bus loop during these times.
- Virginia state law forbids the passing of a school bus that is loading or unloading children.
- The parking lot near Door 5 is for staff parking only. It is not for student drop-off.
- Please do not park in the Center Harbor turning lane into Aldrin or leave your car unattended in the Kiss and Ride line.
- Parking in the turn lane or leaving your car impedes our Kiss and Ride line and busses from entering the parking lot.
- We encourage your child to ride the school bus (if available).
- If your child is not assigned a bus route, please walk with or drive your child to school.
- If you are driving your child to school, please use Kiss and Ride.
- Please stay in your car, pull up to and stop at designated loading spots, allow staff members to open the passenger-side door, and assist your child into the car.
- Students and families should use the crosswalks with the crossing guard as the safest way to cross Center Harbor Road.
- Please pay close attention to Kiss and Ride staff members. They are there to keep our students and families safe.
Arrival Time: 9:00 a.m.- 9:20 a.m.
School starts at 9:20 a.m. when the bell rings. Staff members are available at 9 a.m. Students should not arrive before 9 a.m. Students who arrive after 9:20 a.m. are considered tardy and should be accompanied to Door #1 by a parent or guardian.
All students should report to classrooms upon arrival. Breakfast stations will be located at the entry points; students can grab breakfast on their way to class.
On the first day of school, parents are welcome to walk their children to the classroom. Starting on the second day, only students will be allowed to enter the school building in the morning (this is for the safety and security of all students). We will make sure your child gets to the right classroom.
** If a child is arriving late, fill out the information using our online attendance form. Please view our Late Arrival Procedure for more information.
Dismissal Time: 4:05 p.m.- 4:25 p.m.
When called, students exit through designated doors.
- Bus riders and walkers exit through Door 5
- Kiss and Ride exit through Door 1
- SACC students walk to SACC room
** If a child must leave early, the parent/guardian should fill out the information using our online attendance form. Please view our Early Release Procedure for more information.
Kiss and Ride
Beginning of Year and New Student Contract - If you plan on using Kiss and Ride, please complete and return the Kiss and Ride contract to the Main Office.
Kiss and Ride area is located in the front parking lot by Door 1. Parents using Kiss and Ride are asked to use the numbered Kiss and Ride placard that is assigned to your child. Parents can request a Kiss and Ride placard at Open House or in the Main Office. If you forget your tag, you can still use Kiss and Ride, just tell the staff member your number or who you are picking up.
- Staff arrive at our Kiss and Ride line at 9:00 a.m. for arrival and 4:05 p.m. for dismissal.
- Clearly display your Kiss and Ride placard number on the dashboard.
- Parents should drop off and pick up using the Kiss and Ride one-way traffic pattern.
- Pull your car forward as far as possible in the line.
- Make sure that your child exits/enters your car on the building side.
- If your child needs assistance carrying something please park and walk up to the door to assist your child.
- For the sake of safety and flow of traffic, it is preferred if you do not make a left turn onto Center Harbor Road when leaving the Kiss and Ride line. There is limited visibility and we want to keep everyone safe.
Walking and Biking to School
Recognizing the health benefits, FCPS encourages parents to consider allowing their children to walk and/or ride a bicycle to and from school using existing infrastructure. The unique procedures for kindergarten students are addressed in the current version of Regulation 8617, Student Transportation – Eligibility, Routes, and Schedules.
Students and families should use the crosswalks with the crossing guard at Center Harbor Road. Crossing anywhere other than at the crosswalk with the crossing guard is extremely dangerous.
Aldrin students who live in a walking area are encouraged to walk to/from school. If your child walks to/from school, review a safe walking route with your child. Walking students must use designated paths, sidewalks, or the crosswalk where safety patrols are stationed.
Aldrin students who are in a walking area are also encouraged to ride their bikes to/from school. If you decide to allow your child to ride a bike, please review a safe bike route, ensure they wear a helmet and know how to lock their bike on a bike rack. Our bike rack is located near the bus loop between Door 4 and Door 5.
Bicyclists should follow these guidelines:
- Obey safety patrols and automobile traffic rules, including signaling for turns and stopping at intersections.
- Bikes can be locked to the bike rack.
- Bicycle helmets are mandatory to ride to school!