OPM2 - Other People Mindset
Being curious means you like exploration and discovery. You ask lots of questions because you want to learn more about anything and everything.
Curiosity Quote: "Curiosity, especially intellectual inquisitiveness, is what separates the truly alive from those that are merely going through the motions." -Tom Robins
- Why is it important to be curious?
- How can curiosity help you to get to know people better?
- List some things or people you would like to learn more about. How can you use curiosity to learn more about them?
Having the character strength of teamwork means you work well as a member of a group or a team. You are loyal and sacrifice your individual desires for the greater good.
Teamwork Quote: "I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things." -Mother Theresa
- How does building relationships with others help build a stronger team?
- Why is teamwork important?
- Can you name a time that you faced a challenge alone that you would have benefitted from using teamwork instead?
- How do families use teamwork?
2012 National Sportsmanship Awards - Lee Gibson and Colorado Academy - YouTube
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
September 26 - October 1
Being open-minded means you like to consider new ideas and try new things. You examine things from all sides and don't jump to conclusions.
- "Keep an open mind; it's the only way new things can get in." -Colleen Hoover
- "If you don't go through life with an open mind, you will find a lot of closed doors." -Mark W. Perrett
- What are some ways that you can have an open mind when playing with friends?
- Why is it sometimes hard to have an open mind about new things?
- Why is it important to be open-minded?
- How can being open-minded help strengthen your friendships?
- What is something new that you would like to try or experience?
OPM2 - Being present and giving others attention
Being present means having your focus, attention, thoughts, and feelings all fixed on the task at hand. You can show others that you are giving them your attention by looking at them, listening to them, and answering their questions. Being present also means that you are enjoying the moment you are in and aren't worrying or thinking about other things at that time.
Being Present Quote: "Just like plants need sunlight to grow, our relationships need attention." -Unknown
Being Present Questions:
- What is being present, and what is mindfulness
- Why is it important to be present in other people's lives?
- Can you think of someone who has been present in your life and has made a difference in your life?
Integrity means being honest and speaking the truth. You present yourself genuinely and sincerely.
- "Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." --C.S. Lewis
- "Whoever is careless about the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." --Albert Einstein
- What do you do and say that shows integrity?
- Is it always easy to show integrity?
- How can a lack of integrity hurt others?
- How is showing integrity important to building relationships?
- How do you show integrity in your life?
Being forgiving means you forgive those who have done wrong. You accept that people make mistakes.
Forgiveness Quote: "When you forgive, you in no way change the past - but you sure do change the future." -Bernard Meltzer
- Do you think it's okay to struggle with forgiveness? Why or why not?
- Should you forgive someone even if they don't apologize?
- How does it feel to forgive someone? Why is it important?
- What are some ways that you can show forgiveness?
This coming week, students will be learning about and having discussions regarding the P2 character strength of Creativity in class. The following is an explanation, quote, and some questions about creativity that you can discuss with your child at home!
Creativity means you come up with new and original ways to think about and do things.
Creativity Quote: "To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong." -Joseph Chilton Pearce
- Why is creativity important to our future?
- How do people show creativity?
- If you could invent something, what would you invent? How would it help others?
- When others are practicing their creativity, how can we encourage and support them?
October 31 - November 6
Having perspective means you appreciate when people see things in different ways. You have the ability to understand the world from multiple points of view.
- "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau
- "The only thing you sometimes have control over is perspective. You don't have control over your situation, but you have a choice about how you view it." -Chris Pine
- Why is it important to think about things in different ways?
- Is it always easy to see things in different ways?
- When a friend sees something differently than you, what can you do to try and see things from their perspective, or try to get them to see things from your perspective?
- How are perspective and empathy related?
Being brave means you act with mental, moral, or physical strength even when things are difficult or scary.
- "Scared is what you're feeling. Brave is what you're doing." -Emma Donoghue
- "I learned that courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who is not afraid, but he who conquers that fear." -Nelson Mandela
- Is it okay to be afraid of something?
- When have you shown bravery and how did it make you feel?
- What can you do to help others feel brave?
- Why does disagreeing take bravery?
- Is it always easy to show bravery? Why or why not?
Gratitude | Gratitude Family Resources
Gratitude means you are aware of and thankful for good things that happen.
- "Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms." -Alyssa Knight
- "Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart, not the mind." - Lionel Hampton
- How can you show gratitude in your home?
- Why is gratitude important?
- What does it mean to be thankful for being yourself?
- Why is gratitude important to personal happiness and that of others?
- How does gratitude impact our relationships?
- Do we as a society show gratitude often enough?
November 28 - December 4
Being kind means you are generous to others and you are never too busy to help out. You enjoy doing good deeds for other people.
- "A warm smile is the universal language of kindness." -William Arthur Ward
- "Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless." -Mother Teresa
- How can you encourage others to show kindness?
- Does kindness look the same to everyone? Why or why not?
- How does being kind help you better understand others?
- Share a time when you were kind to someone, or someone was kind to you. How did it make you feel?
- What are some ways that you can show kindness in your community?
OPM - Knowing my words & actions affect others
Knowing how your words and actions affect others means remembering that how we act and what we say impacts the people around us. It's important to stop and think, so that we can have a positive impact on the world!
Words and Actions Quote: "There is power in words, be careful how you use them." - Toni Payne
Words and Actions Questions:
- What ways can we impact other people's lives?
- How can words and actions impact other people?
- Can you think of a time when someone's actions affected you in a positive way?
Words and Actions Video:
Having self-control means you have the ability to control your emotions and behaviors. You think before you act.
- "If you learn self-control, you can master anything." -Anonymous
- "You cannot control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them." -Maya Angelou
- How do you use self-control when things don't go your way?
- What do you think would happen if no one showed self-control?
- What are some strategies you can use to help you practice self-control?
- How can self-control, or lack of, impact a community?
Optimism means you expect the best from the future and work to achieve it.
- "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down." - Charlie Chaplin
- "Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness." - Desmond Tutu
- Why is it important to be optimistic and have hope?
- How can our optimism affect others?
- What can you do to help others practice optimism at home, at school, and in your community?
- Why is it sometimes hard to be optimistic? What are some ways you can work through this type of challenge?
Prudence means you plan for the future and achieve your goals by making careful everyday choices.
- "The choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility." - Eleanor Roosevelt
- "Life is all about making choices. Always do your best to make the right ones, and always do your best to learn from the wrong ones." - Unknown
- How do your choices affect you? How do your choices affect others?
- How does making careful choices help you to achieve your goals?
- What can you do to encourage others to show prudence?
- What short term goals will you need to achieve in order to work towards one of your larger goals?
- What might distract you from achieving your goal and how can you deflect that?
Wildcard/Make-Up/Review (only 3 days of school, MLK Day)
OPM - Supporting others when they struggle
While this is not a specific character trait, it is an important concept for students to learn how to fully embrace the other people mindset.
Supporting others when they struggle means that when others are having a hard time, we are there to support them, listen to them, and cheer them on!
Supporting Others Quotes:
- "Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change." - Bob Kerrey
- "Helping one person might not change the world, but it could change the world for one person." - Unknown
Supporting Others Questions:
- What are some ways that you can support others when they struggle?
- Why is it important to support others?
- What character strengths are involved in supporting others when they struggle, and why?
Supporting Others Video:
January 30 - February 5
Perseverance means you complete what you start despite obstacles. You never give up.
- "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again." - William Edward Hickson
- "Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." - Dale Carnegie
- Share a time when you wanted to do something difficult. How did you use perseverance to accomplish your goal?
- Is it okay to get help from others when you are working hard at something?
- How can you help others practice perseverance?
- Is failure always a part of success?
- How can fear of mistakes get in the way of perseverance?
Humility means you do not seek the spotlight. You let your actions speak for themselves.
- "True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it's thinking of yourself less." -- C.S. Lewis
- "Every person that you meet knows something that you don't; learn from them." -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.
- How do you show humility in your life?
- How does it feel when someone doesn't show humility?
- Is it important for leaders to show humility? Why or why not?
- How can humility help lead to happiness?
Love means you value close relationships with others and being close to people.
- "You always gain by giving love." --Reese Witherspoon
- "Love is the absence of judgment" --Dalai Lama
- How do you show love for friends, family, and other people in your life?
- Why is it important to have close relationships with others?
- Is it important to love yourself? How can you do this?
- Where have you seen people demonstrate love?
- Is it ever harder to love yourself than others? If so, why do you think that is?
- How can your love for others make the world a better place?
OPM2 - Cheering others' success
Cheering on others' success means that we can be happy for other people and celebrate their successes as they happen.
Cheer Successes Quotes:
- “Somewhere along the way, we must learn that there is nothing greater than to do something for others.” - Martin Luther King Jr.
- “The unselfish effort to bring cheer to others will be the beginning of a happier life for ourselves.” - Helen Keller
Cheer Successes Questions:
- What does cheering for others mean to you?
- How does it feel to cheer for others' success?
- Why can it sometimes be difficult to cheer for others' success?
- How does cheering show the other people mindset?
Cheer Successes Videos:
February 27 - March 5
Enthusiasm means you approach life with excitement and energy. You energize people around you.
- "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Knowledge is power but enthusiasm pulls the switch." -- Ivern Ball
- How does enthusiasm make a difference in your life?
- If enthusiasm is contagious, can negativity be contagious too?
- How can enthusiasm help people in a difficult situation?
- Is it okay to not be enthusiastic all of the time?
- Is enthusiasm important for leaders to have? Why or why not?
March 6 - 12
Social Intelligence means you are aware of other people's thoughts and feelings and you understand why they do things.
Social Intelligence Quotes:
- "If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours." -Dolly Parton
- "If you are tuned out of your emotions, you will be poor at reading them in other people." -Daniel Goleman
Social Intelligence Questions:
- What are some ways you can tell how another person is feeling?
- Does social intelligence help you be a better friend? Does it help you in other relationships?
- How does listening make you more socially intelligent?
- How do our own experiences help us to understand the feelings of others?
Social Intelligence Videos:
March 13 - 19
Love of Learning
Love of Learning means you master new topics on your own or in school.
Love of Learning Quotes:
- "Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere." -Chinese Proverb
- "Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow." -Anthony J. D'Angelo
Love of Learning Questions:
- What are a few new things you'd like to learn about? How can you learn about them?
- Do you always love learning? Is it always easy to learn new things?
- Why is it important to keep learning throughout your life?
Love of Learning Videos:
March 20 - 26
OPM2 - Identifying & appreciating the good in others
Identifying and appreciating the good in others means that we work hard to identify and value others' strengths.
Identify Good In Others Quotes:
- "What makes me happy is the appreciation of people around me." -Nadia Comaneci
- "Be the reason someone believes in the goodness of other people." -Karen Salmansohn
Identify Good In Others Questions:
- Why do you think taking the time to appreciate others is important?
- What are some ways you can show appreciation of others' strengths?
- What is an easy phrase you could adopt to show others that you appreciate them?
Identify Good In Others Videos:
March 27 - April 2
Humor means you like to laugh and bring smiles to other people.
- "Laughter is an instant vacation." -Milton Berle
- "I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills." -Audrey Hepburn
- How does laughter help people feel better?
- What do you think the world would look like without humor?
- How does humor impact relationships between people?
- How have you, or someone else, used humor in your own life? What was the result?
April 10 - 16
Fairness means you believe that all people have value. You approach situations with an unbiased mindset and treat everyone with respect.
- "Fairness does not mean everyone gets the same. Fairness means everyone gets what they need." --Rick Riordan
- "It is not fair to ask of others what you are not willing to do yourself." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
- Is it important to consider everyone's needs when you are trying to make fair decisions?
- What are some examples of fairness in your home and in your community?
- What if the world had no rules?
- How does fairness spread to other people?
- Is it possible to treat everyone fairly?
April 17 - 23
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence means you notice and value the world's beauty and people's skills. You don't take things for granted.
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence Quotes:
- "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." -- Confucius
- "Appreciation is a wonderful thing; it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." -- Voltaire
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence Questions:
- What are some things that are beautiful and excellent in your eyes?
- How do you feel when you notice the excellence in things and people around you?
- Do you think everyone sees beauty and excellence in the same way?
- How can you practice appreciation of beauty and excellence every day and why is it important?
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence Videos:
April 24 - 30
Purpose means you have beliefs about the meaning of life and your life's purpose. You seek to be a part of something greater than yourself.
- "Everyone has a purpose in life and a unique talent to give to others." -Kallam Anji Reddy
- "When you're surrounded by people who share a passionate commitment around a common purpose, anything is possible." -Howard Schultz
- Why is it important to think about our purpose?
- Do you believe we can have more than one purpose?
- What are some ways that you can contribute to your community?
- How can a negative experience help you grow and find your purpose?
May 1 - 7
May 8 - 14
OPM2 - Other People Mindset
Having an other people mindset means that you identify and appreciate the good in others, you know that your words and actions affect others, you support others when they struggle, you cheer on others’ successes, and you are present and give others your attention.
#OPM Outro Week Quotes:
- "See the light in others, and treat them as if that is all you see." -Dr. Wayne Dyer
- "A single act of kindness throws our roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees." -Amelia Earhart
#OPM Outro Week Questions:
- What are some ways that you have shown the Other People Mindset this year?
- Why is showing the Other People Mindset so important?
- What was your favorite character strength to learn about and why?
#OPM Outro Week Videos: